Choose either A or B. Post your work under Theme 5 Great Sources (JÄR).
Your job is to research a major online paper from the US or the UK and write a post presenting your findings. Feel free to include any enlightening media (videos, statistics, links, photos) and don’t forget to mention your sources. The following questions regarding each paper should be answered in your post.
- Is it a newspaper, a tabloid or a scientific newspaper or magazine?
- What is the circulation?
- What is the intended target audience?
- What is the history of the paper?
- Can you describe the style?
- Is there a political agenda?
- Does the paper have any qualities that seem unique to the US or the UK?
- Summarize the day’s headlines and comment on the kinds of news the paper has decided to present on the front page.
- Find one article that you like and explain why.
- Find something that you don’t like and explain why.
- Would you recommend reading this paper and why? Could you use it as a source of information for school, for example? What do you think about the visual appearance = their website?
Prepare to present your post to the rest of the class!
- Find a video news report online (approximately 5 minutes long) by BBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, FOX or some other broadcasting company. YouTube is a good place to start, most have their own channel. Obviously, you must choose a video that does not already have subtitles.
- Embed the video in your post and create your own subtitles underneath. You have to listen very carefully to get it right!
- First transcribe what you hear in English, then translate (and summarize) in Finnish. Both texts should be visible in your post – we need to be able to detect possible mistakes!