As you well know, informal Internet English is full of acronyms like LOL, BTW and FYI. Have you ever wondered how good you are at it? Take a test and find out: Test 1 and Test 2. Post your results as a comment to this post. Have fun!
- Work in pairs or on your own.
- Choose either a film or a music blog in English (if you have other passions, discuss them with the teacher). You can find some examples here:
- Look at the blog in general and read at least two posts (link them to your essay) from the blog and consider the following questions:
- What is the name of the blog and who writes it?
- What is the blog generally about? What about the two posts that you read?
- Have readers commented on the blog’s posts? Do they like the blog or not? Is anyone angry or perhaps trolling?
- What is the language of the blog like? How about the language of the comments? Is it formal or informal? Give 3-5 examples.
(For example, informal language can include forms like u for you, r for are and gr8 for great and uses contractions (haven’t and aren’t) and abbreviations (BTW, FYI, IMHO). Here’s an article about informal and formal English to help you.)
- What is your own opinion of the blog? How would you improve it?
- Write an essay (blog post) in which you ponder the above-mentioned questions in 150-300 words.
- Take a screenshot of the blog and add it onto your blog post. Link the picture to the blog.
- Be ready to present your blog analysis in front of everyone else without reading from the essay. Explain in your own words!